Duldig Studio museum + sculpture garden
In 1930 Sigmund Jaray, a distinguished Austrian firm of furniture designers and makers of finely crafted furniture, were commissioned by Slawa Duldig (née Horowitz), wife of artist Karl Duldig, to design the furniture for the marital apartment she and Karl set up in Engzingergasse Vienna. Slawa’s influence is evident in many design elements, for example the red lattice trim of the custom built armchairs.
The Duldig Studio museum + sculpture garden is the former residence of Karl and Slawa, artists originally from Vienna. They arrived in Australia during World War II and introduced European Modernism to Australian artistic practice. The property, incorporated as a public ‘house’ museum and art gallery, displays their sculptures, paintings, drawings, ceramics and decorative arts.
Exhibited in the original house, artists’ studio and sculpture garden the collection spans more than six decades of the 20th century and includes custom-designed Viennese furniture as well as the prototypes of the first foldable umbrella, invented by Slawa in 1929.