Public opening of the Nhill Aeradio Station, c.1938.
Development of the Nhill Aeradio Station generated considerable ongoing interest in the local community. Here members of the public inspect equipment at the public opening.
After the station became operational in 1938, planes flying between Adelaide and Melbourne were frequently diverted to land at Nhill in the event of bad weather at one of the capital city airports, and grounded aircraft also stopped for refueling immediately adjacent to the Aeradio Station.
Radio operators and associated radio technicians were assigned to work at Nhill for extended periods, and these people and their families were a valued part of the local community.