Murtoa Stick Shed interior, 2012
The Murtoa Stick Shed spans the length of five Olympic swimming pools. With its vast, gabled interior and long rows of poles the interior space has been likened to the nave of a cathedral.
The "Stick Shed” was commissioned by the Grain Elevators Board, and Green Bros contractors undertook construction of what was officially known as Marmalake/Murtoa Grain Store No.1 over a period of only four or five months, commencing in September 1941.
A shortage of steel meant that the shed was built largely from timber readily available at the time, most notably some 560 (56 rows of 10) bush-cut mountain ash poles erected straight into the ground.