Murtoa Stick Shed exterior
Measuring 280 metres in length, 60 metres in width and 19 metres in height, the roof and walls of the Murtoa Stick are made of corrugated iron painted ferric red.
Construction of the Stick Shed, officially known as Marmalake / Murtoa Grain Store No.1, commenced in September 1941. Deliveries of bulk wheat commenced in January 1942 and by June of that year the grain store was at full capacity.
Use of the No.1 shed and the larger No.2 shed, erected in 1942/43, continued for many years. (Original plans also included a No.3 Shed at Murtoa but this was never completed.) The No.2 shed was demolished in 1975. The No. 1 shed became increasingly expensive to maintain and it was phased out of operation by 1989.
The Marmalake / Murtoa Grain Store is the earliest and only remaining example of an unusually grand-scale structure built in rural Victoria during the early 1940s.