A.G. Barlow’s house, South Yarra, 1924
Residence at Punt Road South Yarra for A.G. Barlow esq.
Arthur W. Purnell
28 November 1924
Arthur Purnell Collection
University of Melbourne Archives
Contact University of Melbourne ArchivesCopyright
Contact University of Melbourne Archives
In November 1924 Purnell (now ‘Late of Beaver & Purnell’) designed for Barlow a one-storey house at 488 (the number later changed to 492) Punt Road. With cream roughcast exterior walls, stained timber louvered shutters on the windows, twisted ‘barley sugar’ columns around the front door, and a hipped red ‘Cordova’ tile roof, the house was an early example of Spanish mission-style architecture in Melbourne.