Photograph showing the original outfall sewer construction scene, c. 1895
PROV, VPRS 8662/P1, Unit 29, item 29
Public Record Office Victoria
Spotswood Pumping Station built to pump Melbourne's sewage to Werribee, was finished in 1897. At the pumping station, steam engines (later replaced by electrical ones) worked to pump the sewage up a rising main to join the major sewer outfall at the head of the pumping mains near Millers Road at Brooklyn. The outfall sewer then carried the sewage to the Werribee Treatment Farm where it was purified and discharged into the sea.
For more information about the series from which this image originates visit: the PROV catalogue