Menu for the MMBW engineering staff banquet, 1894
PROV, VPRS 8609/P26 Historical Records Collection, Unit 8, PN 1240
Public Record Office Victoria
Immediately after its formation the MMBW began plans to build an underground drainage system linked to a pumping station at Spotswood, located on the western banks of the mouth of the Yarra River. The sewage flowed by gravity to Spotswood, where it was then pumped to the Werribee Treatment Farm.
The engineering staff required to make these plans a reality were duly rewarded for their labours.
In 1891, the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) was formed to manage Melbourne's water supply system. Its responsibility covered the Yan Yean Reservoir (supplemented by the Toorourrong Scheme), the first stage of the Maroondah Scheme and six metropolitan service reservoirs.
For more information about the series from which this image originates visit: the PROV catalogue