The suburb of Collingwood: southeast view across
Contact Yarra LibrariesCopyright
Collingwood Local History Photograph Collection, Yarra Libraries
Black and white photograph of the southeast view across Perry Street and the suburb of Collingwood, c.1886.
This image was taken on the site of the former Collingwood Technical School, between Johnston and Perry Streets, Collingwood. On the opposite side of Perry Street is a house with a lattice work porch and the two storey Janefield's dairy. Further down the street are several houses with wooden shingle roofs, one in very poor repair. In Otter Street is St Joseph's Catholic church and on the corner of Wellington Street, is St George's Presbyterian church. In Wellington Street are the Wellington Hotel, Bryant's variety store, the Studley Arms Hotel and the Londonderry Hotel. Over the roof of the Studley Arms Hotel can be seen rows of identical houses, probably in Campbell Street. On the west side of Wellington Street, St Joseph's hall is under construction. In the distance is the Wesleyan Methodist church in Gipps Street.