City of Collingwood Council Chambers and Courthouse, 1887
City of Collingwood Council Chambers
Contact Yarra LibrariesCopyright
Collingwood Local History Photograph Collection, Yarra Libraries
Black and white photograph of the City of Collingwood Council Chambers and courthouse in 1887. The Collingwood Technical School was based in these buildings from 1912-1923.
The bluestone 'Police Court' was designed by state government Architect, Peter Kerr (1820 – 1912), and was built in 1853 at 35 Johnston Street. While it no longer exists, other notable buildings by Kerr that are prominent in Melbourne today include; Customs House, Government Post Office (GPO), and the Parliament of Victoria.
The East Collingwood Council was first elected in October 1855 and in 1860, the City of Collingwood Council Chambers, including the Town Clerk Office, were built next to the courthouse. Council opened a free public library in these rooms that was made available for readers in the evening. The Police Court Office was located at the back of the building.
In 1871, the Collingwood Artisans’ School of Design was established to teach technical drawing and operated after hours in the courthouse from 7.30pm - 9pm. After the new and imposing Collingwood Town Hall opened in May 1887, the council offices and court function moved to Hoddle Street, Collingwood. The Johnston Street facilities became home to the Working Men's Club until it became incorporated into the Collingwood Technical School, based in the buildings from 1912 - 1923.