Apprentice Plastering Work, 1925-1926
This photograph shows detailed plastering work completed by apprentices at the Collingwood Technical School at a session held over 1925 and 1926.
Learning how to create ornate cornices and architectural features was part of standard training in Solid Plastering during this period. Many trades were taught at the school including carpentry, plumbing, turning and fitting, bricklaying, plastering, electrical wiring and electrical mechanical engineering. The boot and shoe department was also popular with students and had strong ties to local industry in Collingwood.
Plastering classes were discontinued at the end of Term 2 in 1942, due to the lack of need during the duration of World War II (1939-1945). Over thirty years of instruction, there were only three dedicated part time evening instructors; Mr A. Grant (1913-1925), Mr C.W. Nichols (1926-1930), and Mr P.P. Dundon (1931-1942), the latter having been Nichols’ assistant from 1926-1930. The classes made a brief return in 1950 and were popular again by the 1980s.