King Barak was a great friend of our family, he often visited us.
Victor de Pury, 1931
In 1863 the Victorian government assigned a Crown reserve of over 2000 acres near Healesville, to a group of Daung wurrung and Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations. William Barak and Simon Wonga were two of the leaders responsible for selecting the place, which they named ‘Coranderrk’.
In the same year, Swiss-born Baron Frédéric Guillaume de Pury bought a nearby property, named it ‘Yeringberg’, and planted a vineyard. He married Ada Ibbotson and they eventually had two sons, George and Victor.
The story of how Barak and the de Purys maintained a forty-year relationship is more than one of proximity between the two places.
It is a story of dispossession, adaptation, shared interests and politics. Above all, it is a story of human connection, inspired by the land on which it took place.