Wangaratta Woollen Mills Staff
Staff Wangaratta Woollen MillsContributors
Do not download, copyright restrictionsCopyright
Collection of Gordon Williams, courtesy Ian Payne
These photographs, one taken sometime in the 1940s, the other two in the 1970s, show workers at the Wangaratta Woollen Mills.
Wangaratta Woollen Mills Limited began in 1919 with a share float by local businessmen to create employment and attract workers and their families to the town. One of the men, William Callander, comes up with a bold plan to promote the project. His two daughters Alma and Lena take to the skies in an open biplane, seated on kerosene tins, to scatter leaflets across the region.
By 1922 the Wangaratta Woollen Mills was operational, and its powerhouse supplied all the electricity to the town of Wangaratta.
The Woollen Mills were famous for the quality of their woollen yarns, and in the 1950s became involved with synthetic yarns. Well known as a factory with a family atmosphere, and often employing many members of the same family, the Mill had many sporting and social clubs. The Mills became Australian Country Spinners (ACS) in 1991.
This photograph, taken in the early 1950s, shows the large workforce at the mill. The four men standing higher up are presumably upper management. Note the predominance of women workers.