Original Police Station Telegraph, c1920s
When Victoria Police formed in 1853, police members were limited as to how they communicated.
On the beat they had to rely on a whistle and rattle to get the attention of other police during an incident.
Information exchange over a distance was time consuming and was mainly done via the post; circulating ‘Wanted Posters’ to stations around the state and through monthly updates published in the Victoria Police Gazette.
By the early twentieth century, technologies including the electric telegraph, telephone and radio had transformed communication in the same way the internet did in the 1990s. These new developments meant police could attend a scene within minutes of a crime being reported.
In 1940, Victoria police’s communication hub, known as D24 opened, centralising communication and enabling police to transmit urgent messages to stations and patrol cars around the state.
Today, the police force utilises all forms of communication technologies including Mobile Data terminals, digital radios, mobile phones, tablets and the Internet.