Three-fold draft screen with embroidered panels
Three-fold draft screen with embroidered panels made by Hilda and entered in the First Australian Exhibition of Women's Work 1907.
Buda historic house and garden in Castlemaine contains a rich legacy of the creative spirit of the Leviny Family, who lived there for over 118 years. The Leviny daughters were encouraged to pursue their artistic interests at a time when women were being given more opportunities to study art and take up careers. They worked across a range of media including painting, woodcarving, metalwork, needlework and photography.
It was largely due to the foresight of last surviving sister, Hilda, that Buda was preserved as a house and garden museum when she sold the property to the Castlemaine Art Gallery in 1970. Her sisters, Mary and Kate, left a broader civic legacy through their involvement in establishing the Castlemaine Art Gallery in 1913, and assisting with the development of the gallery’s fine collection of prints in the late 1920s.
Text adapted from the booklet Buda and the Leviny Family, Lauretta Zilles (2011)
Three-fold draft screen with embroidered and appliqued panels
Made by Hilda Leviny c.1907
From the collection of Buda Historic Home & Garden.
Photograph by Julie Millowick