Time Recorder Ribbon Box
Time Recorder Ribbon BoxContributors
Please contact Clunes MuseuCopyright
This box housed inked ribbon, much like typewriter ribbon, for use in the early time recording machines.
These machines were affectionately known as Bundys, after their inventor, Willard Bundy, who patented the mechanical time recorder in 1888. Bundy’s company was absorbed into International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), which would later become an international computing giant.
The Clunes mill was established in the 1920s, in a decommissioned state school building. In 1939, it was bought by Ballarat company Interknit, and became the Clunes Interknit Mill.
The Interknit Hosiery Company employed many locals. Initially a socks manufacturer, and commonly known as Interknit Sox, by 1981 Interknit had begun to manufacture jumpers.
Representing a time when industry was more local to its markets, Interknit supplied socks to Victorian Football League, and then the Australian Football League, teams and later jumpers well. Interknit also supplied socks to cricket teams and the Australian armed forces.