Guesthouses at Flinders
Guests arriving at Katoomba Guest House
Flinders District Historical SocietyContributors
Flinders District Historical Society
The boom era for guesthouses began in the late 1800s after the first railways reached the area.
Guests would travel by rail to Bittern (or later Red Hill) and then be taken by horse-drawn coach to their guesthouse.
Guesthouses played an important part in the popularity of Flinders as a holiday and golfing destination, especially during the summer.
The pristine air and water at coastal resorts like Flinders were considered beneficial for the health, and the natural consequence was the emergence of accommodation such as guesthouses. The largest and best known was St Andrews Guest House, built in 1907 by David Maxwell and in operation until 1972.