Shepparton Heritage Centre Inc
Formed in 1962 as the Shepparton Historical Society, to preserve and record the past of Shepparton and Surrounds from c.1850.
The Shepparton Heritage Centre has been the repository for items relating to the history of Shepparton and district for over 40 years. The heritage collection contains about 9,000 items and ephemera. It also contains material from local industries and businesses. There are a number of tools, machines and horse drawn and other vehicles. Most items in the collection have been limited catalogue information. The collection also includes over 4,000 papers items such as letters, maps, reports and journals. It has a large number of local photographs and a collection of negatives from the newspaper, The Shepparton News.
The SHC collection as a whole has strong historical significance for the extent that it conveys the history of the community. The collection covers most of the historic themes that are consistent with the history of a major rural city. While irrigation is a strong local theme it is underrepresented in the collection and exhibitions. A number of significant citizens are represented through the collection. People such as Victoria Cross recipient, Frank McNamara, The Furphy family, Raymond West, Myrtle Ford, Hugh Pye, Cornelius Palling, Frederick Camp, Alfred Leahy, Vincent Vibert, Thomas Swallow, Andrew Fairley and Patrick Macguire to name a few.