Leongatha and District Historical Society
The Society was formed in 1964 to conserve the history of the Leongatha and District and publish material on the history of the area. The Society met in a room at the Memorial Hall, in private homes and at the Leongatha Community House until 1983. In August 1983 the Society, which was by then known as the Woorayl Shire Historical Society, obtained the use of the Leongatha Mechanics’ Institute as a home.
This beautiful building was built in 1912 and is a fine example of the architecture of the time. The three spacious rooms have pressed metal ceilings and the front room has exquisite stained glass windows. Since moving into the Mechanics’ Institute a museum has been set up and many interesting displays related to the area have been set up.
The Society had another name change in 1995 when the Woorayl Shire became part of the South Gippsland Shire. An extensive collection of photographs, documents, textiles, clothing and other artefacts are stored in the Mechanics’ Institute. The research material is available for research by the general public.
As a Place of Deposit (P.O.D.) of the Public Records Office of Victoria the Society is able to look after public records no longer required by the Shire and other public organisations.