Horsham Historical Society
Horsham Historical Society was formed at a meeting on 13th May 1957 with 10 inaugural members and membership set at 5 shillings. Today we have about 50 members and an extensive Horsham and district local history collection of information. We still abide by the original charter '...to foster the collection and preservation of local history records'.
First meetings were held in the municipal library in the Mechanics Institute building and later in the local CWA hall and private homes. All the while, Society members pressed the local Council for a permanent home. This was finally achieved on 17 March 1969 when the Mechanics Institute building was secured by a donation of $25 per year to Council for its use. In 1982, the Society's rooms were opened to the public for one Sunday each month. Today, we open one afternoon mid-week and other times by arrangement.