Colac & District Historical Society
This collection held by the Colac and District Historical Society, was founded in 1950 and aims to collect, preserve and present the history of Colac and district. The collection includes a research collection of files on local history, a complete collection of Colac Heralds from the 1860s on microfilm and a number of artefacts pertaining to the district.
The Society’s collection includes maps, photographs, ephemera, books of local relevance, and original manuscript material. Newspapers from the 1880s to the present day are available on microfilm, and in some cases, in hard copy. A range of clothing has been suitably stored, complemented by furniture and other objects of district significance. These are all useful in mounting public displays, often commemorating significant milestones in the story of the area and its many organisations. There is a wide-ranging collection of school material, including the archive of the former Colac High School, and data relating to the former Colac Technical School.