Explore the Stories, Collections and Organisations that make up the rich cultural life of Victoria on Culture Victoria.
Culture Victoria is a gateway to Victoria’s cultural collections and organisations. It provides:
- Access to thousands of images and hundreds of videos in our online exhibition area Stories that showcase the richness and diversity of Victoria from a huge number of contributors.
- A Collection search across our major cultural agencies and over 300 professional and community collections through Victorian Collections.
- An Organisations directory of over 700 places that hold publicly accessible collections, including galleries, libraries, archives, museums and historical societies.
- Education resources related to our stories.
- An innovative Mapping tool to explore our stories through both place and Aboriginal language group.
- New ways to discover stories via the Heritage Council of Victoria’s Historical Themes.
Culture Victoria is the public face of the Victorian Cultural Network (VCN), a collaborative project dedicated to increasing digital access to our cultural assets for education and community users.
Culture Victoria content is created via GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) sector collaboration, and often brokers relationships between artists and organisations.
Awards and recognition
The Culture Victoria website provides Victorian organisations, artists, and collections with significant national and international recognition, including:
- The Culture Victoria website redesign was Highly Commended at the Museums Australasia Multimedia & Publication Design (MAPDA) Awards (2016)
- The Seeing the Land from an Aboriginal Canoe story was Highly Commended at the Museums & Galleries National (MAGNA) Awards (2016)
- The Linking History project has been featured as a case study in Europeana, Europe's collections portal (2014)
- The Language, a Key to Survival: Cantonese-English phrasebooks in Australia story won the Interpretation, learning & audience engagement category of the Museum & Galleries National Awards (2014)
- The Possum Skin Cloak story was featured in the New York Times, the Smithsonian website and in Australian Geographic (2012)
- The Wing Thing story was a finalist in the Victorian Coastal Awards (2012)
- The Girl from Carisbrook received a commendation at the Victorian Community History Awards (2011).
Contributing content to CV
Do you have a story that you'd like to contribute to CV? If you are a Victorian organisation with a public collection please Contact Us.