Culture Victoria

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Google+
  • Email
  • Print

Woady Yaloak Historical Society

19 Heales Street SMYTHESDALE Phone: (03) 5342 8754

Email: wyhs@vic.chariot.net.au

The society aims to encourage the study of Australian history, especially of the history of the district around the Woady Yaloak Creek; to promote the compilation and presentation of authentic records relating to the Woady Yaloak district; and to undertake and encourage historical research.

Our Collection

DESCRIPTION: Owned and managed by the Woady Yaloak Historical Society, this collection is located at the Community Hub in Heales Street, Smythesdale. The collection supports the Society?s aim to encourage the study of Australian history, especially of the history of the district around the Woady Yaloak Creek, and to promote the compilation and presentation of authentic records relating to the Woady Yaloak district. The collection contains books, pamphlets, periodicals, manuscripts, microfilms, microfiches, card indexes, photographs, newspaper cuttings, maps, computer records and family histories, often "in progress". There are also some original mining records and other documents in the collection. Gold was discovered in the Woady Yaloak Creek at Smythesdale in 1852, miners soon flocked to the area and numerous townships sprang up as the diggers traced the gold leads along the underground streams. By 1859 the population in the Smythes Creek Goldfields area was 20,000. All the following settlements came into being because of gold, many have since disappeared: Bunker's Hill, Sago Hill, Smythes Creek, Haddon, Nintingbool, Ross Creek, Canico, Smythesdale, Browns Diggings, Scarsdale, Black Hill, Newtown, Brownsvale, Golden Lake, Italian Gully, Staffordshire Reef, Derwent Jacks, Grand Trunk, Piggoreet, Devil's Kitchen, Springdallah, Happy Valley and Lucky Woman's. Specific records in the collection include: the Smythesdale Rate Books (not complete set), the Smythesdale Borough Council Minute Books. 1861-1915, the Smythesdale/Scarsdale Cemetery Records (starting from 1859), school rolls from Smythesdale, Scarsdale, Piggoreet, Happy Valley, Grand Trunk, Ross Creek, Canico and Browns Diggings, and records of baptisms, vaccinations and inquests.

This collection documents the local history of Smythesdale and the surrounding district

Organisation Location

There are no Organisations nearby

View All Nearby Organisations