Port of Echuca
The authentic site and buildings of this inland port which feature an historic red gum wharf. The collection includes a fleet of barges, original river paddle-steamers, railway carriages, locomotives and a selection of allied steam machinery. A museum shed houses a variety of maritime artefacts. Authentic paddlesteamer cruise from Echuca Wharf daily.
The Collection is under the custodianship of the Campaspe Shire and the themes have been developed to preserve, educate and inform the community and visitors about the history and development of the Port of Echuca during the time is was busiest between 1850-1920. The focus of the collection is the Heritage Listed Echuca Wharf built in 1864 and the three paddlesteamers P.S Pevensey, P.S Alexander Arbuthnot and P.S Adelaide dating from 1866. The collection also includes steam traction engines, stationary boilers, a replica sawmill, rai lcarriages, large farm machinery and other objects including winches, drawings, maps and river charts.
The Port of Echuca is a highly significant historical collection. The collection of buildings, wharf, boats, railway and steam display have a strong association with the development of Echuca, the booming river & rail trade. The paddlesteamers, barges, wharf and railway have strong historic links with the history of the wool and red gum timber industries and the connection of this inland region to the commercial markets of Melbourne, Sydney and beyond.