The Kyneton Museum collection is housed in a group of buildings, the most substantial of which was built in 1856 from local bluestone for the infant Bank of New South Wales. The branch was opened to service miners of the region's goldfields. Original outbuildings include kitchens, celler and stables, and these have been augmented by various outbuildings including an original settlers cottage which was relocated here in 1970. The outbuildings house the extensive agricultural display, whilst the kitchen and laundry show authentic household utensils. An original settler's cottage 'Theaden' is furnished to illustrate the poverty of working class living conditions which are a strong, complete contrast to the conditions enjoyed by those living in the Bank Manager's residence in the main building.
The Kyneton Museum Collection is a socila history collection of Kyneton and districts that reflects the lives of residents from early settlement to around the 1930s. The collection consists of approximately 9,000 items ranging from fine china, lace and furniture to agricultural equipment, wagons, carriages, costumes and saddles, tools and harness. The collection is housed in a historic bluestone building, the former Bank of New South Wales built in 1856 and the museum has a number of outbuildings including the kitchen, wash house, stables and an early settlers cottage.
The collection is historically significant for its association with the growth and development of Kyneton and district, including both the town and rural areas. The collection reflects the day to day activities for the people of the district in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Many items demonstrate a way of life which has since disappeared and reflect on the slower pace and closer community ties of the time and place.
Kyneton Museum Transport Collection
The Museum has a particularly strong collection of 19th and early 20th centry vehicles, carts, wagons, buggies and machinery. It consists of approximately 31 large items and 15-20 miscellaneous small items.
The collection is of social and historical significance because it is unique in its breadth and scope as a representative collection of items used in a typical rural area during late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Individual items have associations with specific individuals from the district and specialist activities, such as the painters cart, butchers cart and solicitor's wagonette. The vehicles also demonstrate the varying standards and status associated with particular classes of people in rural society, for example the distinction between the prestige vehicles of professionals, the flamboyant decorations of the tradesmen's carts and the more utilitarian nature of the farm vehicles.