Culture Victoria

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Google+
  • Email
  • Print

Daylesford & District Historical Society

100 Vincent Street DAYLESFORD Phone: (03) 5348 1453 Visit Website

The Daylesford & District Historical Society was formed in 1964 and the Museum established in 1971. The Museum has approximately 800 square metres of interior displays and approximately 250 square metres of covered yard and houses an large collection of local memorabilia and artefacts. The museum has extensive archival resources that are accessible by arrangement for research to researchers and genealogists. As the Museum and archives are operated entirely by volunteers please contact the Society to arrange for use of the research facilities. Copying and postage charges are made where applicable. The Society does not charge a research fee for access to the archives, however, we are always grateful for donations.

Our Collection

The Collection is one of the largest local history collections in rural Australia. It is housed in the former School of Mines-Technical High School. The display collection has been donated over many years by local people and by descendants of the early settlers. The Society has also vigorously collected archival material and photographs relevant to the history and development of the district. The Collection includes:- a large collection of photographs of the district and its inhabitants; an important display of Koori ( Djadja Wurrung ) artefacts; extensive publications for sale; an excellent display of local memorabilia and artefacts; an impressive costume collection; and a yard display of local agricultural, mining and sawmilling machinery.

Organisation Location