Culture Victoria

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Google+
  • Email
  • Print

Ambleside Park Homestead Museum

3 Olivebank Road FERNTREE GULLY Phone: (03) 9758 6722 Visit Website

Ambleside Park Homestead Museum has been the home of the Knox Historical Society since 1977.

Some rooms in the homestead and the outbuildings contain period furnishings, fittings or equipment. There are also displays of photographs and artefacts (including agricultural equipment) relating to the history of Knox.

The research centre next door to the museum collects documents, photographs, newspapers, books, genealogical records and audio-visual material for local history and family history.

Our Collection

This collection, established in 1977, features the Ambleside Park homestead and its outbuildings, containing period furnishings, fittings and equipment, together with artefacts (including agricultural equipment) and photographs relating to the history of Knox (including a Schools Photographs Collection). A research centre houses documents, photographs, newspapers, books, genealogical records and audio-visual material for local history and family history. The former porch of St Bartholomew's Anglican Church forms part of the building complex. The land on which the homestead now stands is part of the Parish of Scoresby. William Edwards was granted a licence by the Crown in 1872, but two years later his licence was revoked. The following year the property was taken up by Edward Perry Amesbury, who then sold his interest in the land to Edmund Wicks. When Edmund Wicks died in November 1880, his widow sold the property to Ephraim Hansen who received the land title in 1887. Before building the homestead in the late 1890s Ephraim Hansen had built an earlier house, part of which still stands at the back of Ambleside near the old shed. Ephraim Hansen died in 1942 aged 90 and the property was inherited by his son, also Ephraim Hansen. In 1950 Ephraim Hansen junior died and the property was sold. Oliver and Mable David bought the house and in 1970 the house and two acres of land were bequeathed to the local council. On the 28th of May 1977, Ambleside Park was officially opened as the headquarters of the Knox Historical Society Inc.

This collection documents the local history of the Knox district.

Organisation Location

There is one other Organisation nearby

View All Nearby Organisations